Anne Arundel Workforce Development Corporation (AAWDC) operates a variety of programs to serve Anne Arundel County’s youth:
- Step Up to Success – Provides GED assistance and career exploration for out-of-school youth ages 16-21. Participants work on obtaining their GED and computer skills certification, as well as career exploration, job readiness, and continuing education opportunities activities.
- WAGES (Work Maturity and Growing Employability Skills) - This North County High School drop-out prevention program provides participants with services that increase attendance, improve academic skills, and develop workplace readiness.
- Summer Jobs Program – AAWDC partners with County agencies and other funding sources to provide summer work experience activities for youth.
- Summer Job Fairs - Working with the Anne Arundel County Public School System, AAWDC organizes summer job fairs in public high schools in the spring.
- Scholarships – AAWDC, funded by a benevolent trust, provides college scholarships to graduates of the WAGES and Step Up to Success Programs.
- Soft Skills Coalition – AAWDC is participating in a start-up program aimed at strengthening the indispensable "soft skills" that employers indicate are lacking in today’s job seekers.
- Business Advisory Boards – AAWDC staff are members of high school Business Advisory Boards throughout the County. These groups bring community stakeholders together to identify ways to improve student achievement through career preparation.
- Governor’s Workforce Investment Board Emerging Workforce Committee – AAWDC participates in this committee, which supports the successful transition of all Maryland youth to careers and college.
- Anne Arundel Youth Council – A partnership of organizations that meets quarterly to make recommendations regarding youth program vendors, provide oversight of the programs, and coordinate activities.
- Foster Youth Program – Through a grant from the Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County, AAWDC has partnered with the Anne Arundel Department of Social Services to provide career exploration and guidance to foster youth in Anne Arundel County.
Contact: Terry Boone, Youth Coordinator: 410-412-5046